Filippo Cardegna first appears in Painesville, Lake County, Ohio, sometime before 1906. Filippo was living in Painesville when his daughter, Anna Antonia Cardega, immigrated to Painesville in 1906. He may have arrived in Painesville in the late 1890’s.
Filippo Cardegna, son of Giuseppe Cardegna and Annantonia Colavecchio, was born on March 17, 1859, at Frosolone, Isernia Province, Molise, Italy. He was baptized on March 18, 1859 at Santa Pietro Apostolo Chiesa, Frosolone, Isernia Province, Molise, Italy. Filippo married Maria Giovanna Mainella, daughter of Felice Mainella and Filomena Zampini, on September 3, 1885, at Santa Nicola Chiesa, Frosolone, Isernia Province, Molise, Italy.
Filippo Cardegna first immigrated to the United States sometime before 1906. Filippo is cited on a passenger ship manifest re-entering the United States on April 12, 1910, at age 51, travelling to Painesville, Ohio. He traveling to Painesville, Ohio, with his son Felice Cardegna. They were joining Filippo’s other children (Giuseppe Cardegna, Michele Cardegna, and Anna Cardegna) in Painesville. Filippo entered the United States at the Port of New York City aboard the ship SS Berlin.
The known children of Filippo Cardegna and Maria Giovanna Mainella were as follows:
1. Anna Antonia Cardegna was born on June 11, 1887, at Frosolone, Italy. She married Giuseppe Scacciavillani, son of Felice Scacciavillano and Maria Giovanna Vitolone, on June 21, 1906 at Saint Mary Catholic Church at Painesville, Lake County, Ohio. Anna died on December 18, 1938 at her home, on Fairport-Nursery Road, at Painesville Township, Lake County, Ohio, at age 51, of acute pulmonary edema due to diabetes. Her body was interred at Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery at Painesville Township, Lake County, Ohio.
2. Giuseppe Cardegna was born on May 1, 1889, at Frosolone, Italy. He married Maddalena Fasciano, daughter of Pietro Fasciano and Antonia Iammarino, on July 5, 1913, at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Giuseppe died on July 6, 1937, at St. Alexis Hospital, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, at age 48, of a coronary thrombosis. His body was interred at St. Mary Cemetery at Painesville Township, Lake County, Ohio.
3. Michele Cardegna was born on February 23, 1892, at Frosolone, Italy. He married Clara DeMonaco, daughter of Luigi DeMonaco and Giovanna Delsano, on July 21, 1919 at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Michele died on April 6, 1924, at Ivanhoe Road, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, at age 32, in an automobile accident. His body was interred at Calvary Cemetery at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
4. Felice Cardegna was born on June 3, 1894. He married Rose Marie Stinziano, daughter of Giuseppe Stinziano and Annunziata Paduano, on July 21, 1917 at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Felice died in September, 1963, at Florida at age 69.
5. Rocco Cardegna was born sometime after 1900. He may have been a half-brother of the other children of Filippo Cardegna. I have no evidence that Rocco immigrated to the United States.